GENERAL BIBLE STUDY DIRECTIONS FOR CHAPTERS 1-8:
Dist. Elder J.W. Parrott, Jr., Th.D.
Bible, Bible Dictionaries, Bible
Encylopedias, please answer the following questions
with a completed sentence.
Lesson 1-The Eternal Word
Theme: God Is Invisible
1. What does the Greek word "logos"
mean in John 1:1,14 ?
2. How does John 1:14 tie in with 1 Tim. 3:16 ?
3. What is the purpose of
studying the Gospel of John ?
4. What was the purpose of the Ministry of John the Baptist
John 1:6 and the Ministry of Jesus Christ
according to John 1:26,28) ?
5. What does the
word Bethany mean(John 1:28) ?
6. Which disciple said Jesus was King of Israel(John 1:49) ?
2- The First Sign of Divine Power
Theme: The Jew Ask For A Sign
1. What does
the word Cana mean in verse 1 ?
2. What was significance of Jesus driving out the
verses 14-17 ?
3. How did Jesus demonstrate christian Ethics as
opposed to Biblical Ethics in the
4. Explain how verses 20-21 compare to John 6:53-60 ?
5. What is a miracle ?
6. Why did Jesus perform miracles according to verses
Lesson 3- Jesus Dialogue With Nicodemus
Theme: The New Birth
1. How does John 3:12 compare to l Cor.15:45:47 ?
2. How does John 3:29 relate to Matt. 25:1-10
3. What did Jesus say his mission was in verse 30 ?
4. How does the New Birth(Kingdom
of God), John 3:5;
Romans 14:17; differ from the kingdom of Heaven
(Matt. 13:1-11, 24-32) ?
Lesson 4- The Spiritual Dimensions of the Kingdom of God
Theme- The Paradox of the Ministry of Jesus
1. How does this subject and the scripture point to
which area of systematic theology
2. Who were the Samaritans according to John 4:7-9;
11 Kings 17:17, 21-23, 27-28 and why the Jews
like them(John 4:9; Neh. 4:2) ?
3. Describe Jesus and his ministry as a paradox
tp John 1:11; John 4:22, 39-42 ?
4. How did Jesus describe the Kingdom
of God according to
John 4:34; Rom. 14:17 ?
5. How does the Lord Jesus Christ describe
of God according to John 4:34 and Romans 14:17 ?
6. How does the Kingdom of
Heaven differ from the Kingdom
of God according to Matt. 13:1-13; Matt. 25:1-10 ?
5- Jesus Heals At Bethdesda On The Sabbath
Theme:Jesus Reveals Himself Through Healing
1. What area of Systematic Theology does John 5:28,29
deal with ?
2. According to John 5:28,29,
what is Jesus talking
3. What does the word Bethesda mean according to John
4. What were the reasons the Jews wanted to kill Jesus
according to John 5:18 ?
5. According to Matt. 22:29, what would you say the
divisons of this study of John 5 according
6. According to John 5:8, how is that impacted with
and John 14:12 ?
Lesson 6- Jesus Reveals Himself As Bread of Life
Theme- The Wheat and The
Tare in Anthesis
1. Why did Jesus feed the people naturally as well as
according to John 6:5; Matt.15:32
James 2:14-17 ?
2. How does John 6:35 relate to
John 4:24 aand tie in into
Rom 14:17 and Matt. 22:29 ?
3. Who were the 70 Disciples(Like
10:1,2,17) versus the
12 Disciples in Matt. 10:1-5 ?
4. How much is 200 Pennysworth in
John 6:7 ?
5. How did the Jews feel about Christ's Ministry according
John 1:9: John 3:1-12 ; Rom.
6. What is the meaning of the Water of Life(John 4:15-17)
as oppossed to Jesus
being the Bread of Life
(John 4:35) ?
7. Why did these people reject the the ministry of
according to John 6:60-62; Heb. 5;10-12; Rom. 14:17 ?
8. How does John 6:26 relate
to Rev. 3:14-17 ?
9. Why is John 6:66 related to Rev.13;15,18;
Lesson 7- Jesus Teaches At The Feast
1. Why didn't Jesus walk in Judea according to verse 1 ?
2. What was the spiritual state of Jesus brothers
according to verses 4-6 ?
Jews acknowledge Jesus knowledge, but why did
they question him according to verses 16-17 ?
4. What did Jesus have to say about judging according
to verse 20 ?
What type of anoiting was on Jesus according to
versus 30-32,43-47 ?
6. How did Nicodemus
speak up for Jesus in verse 51 ?
Lesson 8- Christ The Liberator
Freedom For The Believer
1. What was the significance of Jesus writing on the
the woman was caught in adultery
(John 8:3,6,8,9) ?
2. When Jesus forgave the woman in
adultery, what did he
admonish her to do in verses 10.11 ?
3. What did Jesus mmean by the
term lifted up in verse
4. In verse 28, what nationality did the jews refer
to him as secretly being ?
5. What moral sin did the Jews accuse Jesus according to
verse 41 ?
6. Why did the Jews want to stone Jesus according to
verse 58 ?
7. What did Jesus say truth will do according to verses
32,36 ) ?